- 2 bags microwave popcorn (if possible, use natural flavor, not buttered)
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1/4 C white Karo syrup
- 1/2 t salt (if you are using salted popcorn then omit salt here)
- 1 cube real butter
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 t vanilla
1. Pop popcorn and set aside. You can substitute air-popped popcorn if you have an air-popper.
2. Place brown sugar, Karo syrup, salt, and butter in a microwave safe dish (I cut up the butter into chunks so it melts better). No need to stir, just toss everything in there.
3. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Take it out and stir it together. Microwave for 2 more minutes. When the caramel beeps the second time, take out of microwave and add baking soda and vanilla. Sit back and watch it do cool things like bubble and foam.
4. Stir it well and then pour it over the popcorn. Mix it up well with a big spoon. I usually spread it all out on a piece of foil and let it cool for a minute so it doesn't get stuck in one big clump. The longer it sits out, the firmer it will get, but it won't ever get crunchy-hard unless you bake it. For crunchy caramel corn: spread out on a cookie sheet (you'll probably need 2) and bake at 200 degrees for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. The other day I made it this way and then drizzled it with chocolate when it was done.
This recipe is from http://www.ourbestbites.com/. This is the best food web site. These girls are amazing.