Saturday, April 25, 2009

FRUIT BARS

When I was young, my Grandma Wilson (Leona) lived on South Temple just four doors down from Backer's Bakery. Often, we would walk over for a treat, and Grandma usually ordered their Fruit Bars. Here we are forty some years later, I've found a recipe that takes me back to my childhood -- it's pretty dang close to what I remember!

INGREDIENTS:

2 c Sugar
3/4 c Butter
3 Eggs
1/2 c Honey
3 T Molasses
4-1/2 c Flour
1 t Salt
2 t Soda
2 T Cinnamon
3/4 c Coconut
1-1/4 c Chopped Dates
1 c Raisins
1 c Chopped Walnuts [I don't add Walnuts]
1/2 c Rolled Oats


INSTRUCTIONS:

Cream sugar and butter. Beat in Eggs.
Stir in Honey and Molasses.
Sift dry ingredients and add slowly along with remaining ingredients.
Knead with hands to blend ingredients. [I use my 7 quart KitchenAid Mixer, but it's a very thick stiff dough]
Add a little water if the mixture is too dry.
Use ice cream scoop to place balls of dough across a greased cookie sheet.
Flatten dough uniformly across the cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 for 17-18 minutes or until golden brown. Toothpick test: slightly sticky
Cut with a pizza cutter while still warm -- I typically cut squares 1x1 or 2x2 etc.
Glaze with frosting.


FROSTING GLAZE:

1/2 c Sugar
1/4 c Water
1T White Corn Syrup
1-1/2 c Powdered Sugar

In a small sauce pan, stir together sugar, water and corn syrup.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils.
Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
Gradually stir in powdered sugar beating until smooth after each addition.
Mixture should ahve a syrupy consistency.

Makes 3 dozen large or 6 dozen small bars.

[Thank you Naborhood Bakery, Gardner Village!]

No comments: